Our Homeshare program recognises that most people want to live in their own homes for as long as possible – they may just need some support and companionship.
Homeshare matches older people with mature, responsible and reliable volunteers who provide company, security and practical support around the home in return for accommodation. We also offer homesharing arrangements for people with disability.
Homesharers might care for pets, cook, clean or assist with gardening and shopping – help that allows the householder to continue living independently in their own home. Homesharers also contribute to household expenses such as utilities.
Our volunteer homesharers are of all ages and backgrounds with a genuine interest in the lives of older people.
The Wesley Homeshare team matches like-minded people through a careful assessment process, which includes interviews and security checks. An introductory period also ensures each living arrangement meets the needs of both people, and we provide ongoing support to all Homeshare arrangements.
I’m interested in becoming a homesharer. What else do I need to know?
Before you contact us about becoming a homesharer, it’s important that you understand the requirements of this program. Please read through the following checklist to help you decide if you’re ready to explore a Homeshare arrangement. If the answer is yes, we would love to hear from you!
- I’m interested in and have an understanding of how to support an older person in their own home.
- I can commit to 10 hours of agreed practical assistance and companionship per week.
- I can commit to a minimum of 6 months.
- I understand my friends and family can not stay overnight.
- I understand I need to be at home most nights to provide support and companionship.
- I understand I will receive one weekend off per month.
- I can provide three referees who have known me for over 12 months, that are not my family members or friends.
- I understand that I will be required to undergo safety checks and might be required to obtain an international police check if I’ve lived overseas.
- I understand that matching me with a householder takes a minimum of one month.
- I am aware that I need to sign an agreement to participate in the Homeshare program.
- I understand I must attend an induction to be a Homesharer with Wesley.
- I understand that there is a four-week trial period at the start of a Homeshare arrangement and, if it doesn’t work out, I may need to find alternative accommodation.