Wesley can support you to understand and access the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS).
The NDIS is the new way of funding disability and mental health support in Australia. It’s designed to give people with a permanent disability or mental health condition the support you need to live your life the way you would like to.
The NDIS is in place to support every area of your life so you can grow your independence and have more choice and control, including:
- assistance in the home
- building new skills
- preparing to enter the workforce
- finding a place to live
- using public transport.
When is the NDIS coming to my area?
The NDIS is a big change for many people – so it is being introduced in stages over the next three years. For the Southern and Eastern areas of Melbourne, where Wesley’s disability services and programs operate, NDIS will start to be introduced from the following dates:
- 1 November 2017: Inner Eastern Melbourne
- 1 November 2017: Outer Eastern Melbourne
- 1 March 2018: Hume Moreland
- 1 April 2018: Bayside Peninsula
- 1 September 2018: Southern Melbourne
- 1 October 2018: Brimbank Melton
- 1 October 2018: Western Melbourne
You can find out when the NDIS will be available in your area on the NDIS website.
Who can access the NDIS?
Eligibility for the NDIS depends on the nature of your disability or mental health condition, your age, where you live and your citizenship status.
You may be eligible for the NDIS if you:
- have a disability, condition or impairment that is permanent, and that means you usually need support from another person or equipment to do everyday things
- are aged under 65
- live in an area where the NDIS is available, and
- are an Australian citizen, permanent resident or hold a Special Protected Category Visa.
Check your eligibility by using the NDIS Access Checklist on the NDIS website.
What services does Wesley provide under NDIS?
Wesley provides a wide range of residential services and community-based recreational and employment programs to support you in living the life you choose – through daily living support, building skills, enjoying independence, and participating in your local community.
We offer supported accommodation including specialist services for people with neurological conditions, day activities and programs, respite services, and meaningful employment through our Australian Disability Enterprises and Support Coordination. Our disability services and programs are based in Melbourne’s Eastern and Southern regions.
Get ready for the NDIS
Wesley is here to support you to learn about and prepare for the NDIS. We are ready to answer your NDIS questions, and if we don’t have the answer straight away, we’ll find the information for you.
Contact the Wesley team:
Phone: 03 9839 6100
For more information, visit the NDIS website.